Wednesday 2 November 2011

David Cameron just like Gaddafi


‘Your Prime Minister is just like Gaddafi,’ someone told me furiously, gesturing wildly with their hands as they attempted to explain exactly why David Cameron, the United Kingdom’s leader had committed similar atrocities to that of the late Libyan Dictator.
I was then told, in vulgar and graphic detail why lifting a ban on homosexuality would be an atrocious act and was subject to a torrent of mostly misinterpreted and parochial arguments.
 Ever since David Cameron announced plans to cut aid payments to countries unless they reform legislation that bans sexuality I have heard talk of little else. The newspapers have been filled with articles discussing the topic and I’ve heard countless radio interviews asking the opinion of the public.
The UK Prime Minister raised the issue of homosexuality, with references to Ghana and Uganda, with some of the states involved at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth, Australia. He has asked that countries adhere to proper human rights for all its citizens and he stated that those wishing to receive aid from the UK should accept the conditions that comply with foreign aid.
As someone who grew up in a Western society, I find it difficult to comprehend such prejudices when a person’s sexual orientation has no direct effect on one’s own life in any shape or form. I have been taught to accept people in-spite of their background, race, religion and other characteristics or personality traits.
It goes without saying that the significance of cultural differences and beliefs cannot be ignored. Everyone has the right to express their opinion but it is difficult for me to fathom when people are denying their brother and sisters the basic human right of freedom.
 Ghana is a country which places such an emphasis on the extended family and referring to everyone as ‘my brother,’ or ‘my sister,’ but to see one group excluded simply because they are attracted to the same sex is not something I can easily accept.
The reaction in Ghana has been, in my eyes, disturbing. President John Evans Atta Mills has refused to comply with Cameron’s threats and says he will never legalise homosexuality. I have broached the subject with many Ghanaians and the response has always been the same, usually that is it ‘unnatural and morally wrong.’
Perhaps because I have been taught to believe it’s acceptable to love who you wish to do so that I find it extremely hard to see things from a different point of view. I believe a lack of understanding and education about homosexuality is a cause of a lot of the unsettling comments.
I feel that the media has largely contextualised the original announcement, has denounced Mr Cameron and his government and obstinately stated that the people of Ghana will never accept homosexuality. Since the announcement, the print and broadcast media has gone on a tangent, bombarding the news with sensationalised stories and expressions of disgust and resentment towards the UK Prime Minister.
I am by no means an activist for the gay community and I do not believe Mr Cameron has the right to tell other countries how they should live their lives. However, I believe it is the right of every human being to live without fear of persecution or ridicule due to their sexual orientation. You cannot help who you fall in love with.
I am not suggesting homosexuality has to be accepted by every single Ghanaian; that is idealistic and is not even true of the UK, USA and Australia, where there are still anti-gay sentiments.
I do not believe foreign aid should have strong stipulations and I feel it is wrong to try to inflict Western values onto countries receiving foreign aid.
I am not a supporter of the UK’s Conservative government and often find it difficult to understand the decisions made. But on this occasion I am inclined to agree. A ban of homosexuality encroaches on basic freedoms and human rights. As long as people are not directly affecting the rights of others I see no reason why the legalisation of homosexuality would make that much of a difference to everyday lives.
Acts of homosexuality has no direct impact on the state of the economy and the overall well being of the people. Perhaps it is time to concentrate on issues that have a direct effect on development and well being, such as issues relating to education, female empowerment, unemployment and the state of the economy.
 Ghana  only has a 79 percent female enrolment at primary school level; 30 percent of the population is illiterate and 45 percent of the population live on under two cedi a day; meaning they are living in extreme poverty, according to the United Nations world-wide poverty scale.
Children beg on the streets around Circle and homelessness is rife. I have a close Ghanaian friend who works as a teacher and he is often not paid on time and struggles to get by on a daily basis. I find it quite astonishing that there has been so much focus in recent days over homosexuality when the above issues are critical to the development of Ghana.
I have been encouraged by the few articles I have read, by Ghanaians, in full support of the gay community and cannot help but suspect there are many more keeping quiet out of fear.
 If homosexual acts are harshly punished what sort of punishments are there for those who commit crimes such as rape or murder? Two people enjoying the sexual company of each other in their own, private home has no impact on any other persons.
Mr Cameron is not asking for Ghana to allow gay marriage; he is simply asking that basic human rights be adhered to for citizens.
 I only with that one day it will be tolerated, allowing the gay community to have the same human rights as everyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment