Saturday 26 November 2011

Leymah Gwobee..

I was lucky enough to attend a speech by Leymah Gwobee, one of the winners of the Nobel Peace Prize 2011 at an event in Accra. She is an incredible lady and it was wonderful to hear her talk so passionately about her struggle to fight for women's rights in Liberia and her work in the immediate aftermath of the end of the civil war. It was definitely one of the more interesting assignments I’ve been sent to work on. I don’t think I‘d ever get the same kind of opportunities back home. I’ve been to numerous United Nations conferences on development and women’s rights (which I’m pretty passionate about) and some product launches which come with a lot of freebies which is nice! I was at the British Council last week for the launch of a Sports Development initiative which sounds pretty interesting; I had a little chat with the high commissioner!
Ghana is wonderful, hot, sticky and at times extremely frustrating. I don’t know why men think it’s okay to grab random white women as they walk past and beg them to buy their stuff. And I could definitely live without the incessant honking by taxi drives..
But spending a Saturday in November lounging by a pool with a cocktail is not exactly a hard life…

No comments:

Post a Comment