Tuesday 27 December 2011

A Wedding and Christmas


It’s been another lovely sunny Christmas in Ghana with overlong church services, a wedding, fu-fu and excited children who, despite being Muslim, couldn’t contain their excitement at opening their little gifts come Sunday morning. Unfortunately, the one person I really wanted to spend the day with decided it was more important to purchase a phone battery (seemingly it’s impossible to last half a day without a phone), leaving me to me own devices on what I consider a pretty special day to be spend with loved ones. I was a tad insulted to say the least, and now I have a lot of things to consider. Sometimes it just feels like too much of an effort. 

Despite a little homesickness and my longing for a little respite from the stifling heat, I had a pretty nice relaxed day. My wonderful friend Christy made me some fu-fu with fish and light soup (she is an amazing cook) and I spent a happy few hours being thoroughly entertained by her two gorgeous daughters, Maame (Emmanuella, 6) and Nana (Kirsty, 2 ½). It appears a bottle of bubbles and a colouring book is all it takes to put a smile on a child’s face. Maame took her colouring very seriously; continuously asking me what colour she should use on every part of the picture. Nana thought it was a brilliant game to catch the bubbles and spent a good many minutes laughing hysterically when they burst on her arms. It definitely brought a smile to my face. After, I went to my other friend Charity’s (Cha-Cha)’s house for a mineral (i.e. a bottle of soft drink) and some blasting Ghanaian highlife which was extremely fun, there’s nothing like dancing with a group of tremendously happy Ghanaians encouraging you to ‘shake your body.’ 

The wedding on Christmas Eve was lovely, despite me missing most of the ceremony. Cha Cha was supposed to pick me up before hand, but as it pretty normal in Ghana, arrived for me just as the Church service was over. However, I did catch a glimpse of the Bride (Cha Cha’s sister) and Groom as they left the Church dressed in traditional wedding ware. After there was the speeches (unfortunately not in English!), food, drinks and dancing. The wedding cake was better than any I’ve ever had (not a fruit cake which is really all is takes for me) although I found amusing that the little people on top of the cake were white. 

Anyways, back at work for my last few weeks at The Daily Graphic. I really don’t want to leave. I finally feel settled and would love to stay a little longer. Although now I’m re-evaluating my time in Ghana, perhaps it’s time to move on and try someplace else.

No comments:

Post a Comment