Tuesday 17 January 2012

Happy New Year!

Hello from Cape Coast! I have been here nearly a week and although I am enjoying the more relaxed way of life here (my editor doesn’t really run a tight ship) I miss Accra and the people there. I have a lovely little room here though, and it’s pretty much in the centre of town which is convenient. The past few weeks have been a little surreal and not exactly a fun time for me, but I’m hoping the New Year can only bring good things.

I spent the New Year weekend at a gorgeous beach lodge in Elmina, a coastal town around 3 hours from Accra. I was there with some lovely ladies and spent two days relaxing on a beautiful beach, swimming in a near-by hotel pool, drinking cocktails and eating some yummy food. I don’t think fellow guests will ever forget our incredible (I’m sure it was) rendition of Aerosmith’s I don’t Want to Miss a Thing at around 3 am (thanks Jemma, Line, Eline, Milena, Chrisi, Emily, Sasha, Tae).

 A few on us decided to go horse-riding on the beach which was a lot of fun, although not exactly comfortable in shorts and flip-flops! However we got to canter along the shore (or run, as our guide loved to say) and ride along what is perhaps one of the most breathtakingly beautiful beaches in world.

Unfortunately my last few weeks at The Graphic were pretty quiet. Apparently media events don’t really happen in January, so I had a lot of free time to write my own stories and find ‘exclusives,’ no easy feat when you have a severe lack of contacts. I was sad to leave though; I’ve made some lovely friends there and had some amazing opportunities which I am extremely grateful for. Hearing Leymah Gbowee speak was a definite highlight.  I don’t think I will forgot some of more ‘colourful’ conversations I’ve had with fellow journalists, including one debate about ‘Gaddafi the Hero,’ and the many In depth discussions about religion and the role of women in a marriage (which I don’t want to get into here, I fear I will get into a lot of trouble!).

I do not understand men and seem to be in a permanent stare of confusion when it comes to such affairs. Any attempt to discuss issues that seem to be happening time and time again are rebuffed because if it’s in the past what is the point in talking about it? Some wisdom would be good please! Sometimes I just think it’s too much of an effort, and sadly I don’t think that should be the case.

To all the victims of the tragic accident in Senya Beraku on 27-12-10, may you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment